People don’t usually think that indoor air quality would affect heart health. According to the Centers for Disease Control, poor indoor air quality can do more than irritate your eyes, nose and throat. It can also lead to chronic heart and lung problems and cancer.
Breathing dirty air increases the risk of death from cardiovascular problems, which include heart attack and stroke.
One way to improve your indoor air quality is by having your air ducts cleaned. Mold, pet hair, dander, dirt, pollen and other debris and contaminates can get into a home’s heating and air conditioning system. Over time, these contaminates in your air ducts can contribute to breathing disorders, including asthma and allergies, as they circulate throughout your home.
Moisture can make the problem worse, allowing mold to grow and compromise the air quality in your house. If you have a musty smell, visible spotting or an area of your home with a moisture problem make sure to contact a mold professional.
“Having your air ducts cleaned can not only provide a healthier living environment, but it can extend the life of your heating system,” says Russell Vent, a mold specialist.
It’s not always necessary. If no one in your household suffers from allergies or unexplained symptoms, and if you look inside the ducts and see no signs of large deposits of dust or mold (or no musty odor or visible mold growth), your air ducts probably don’t need to be cleaned.
And dust on your return registers isn’t necessarily a problem. Registers get dusty as dust-laden air is pulled through the grate, which doesn’t mean your air ducts are contaminated with heavy deposits of dust or debris. The registers can be easily vacuumed or removed and cleaned.
On the other hand, if family members are experiencing unusual or unexplained symptoms of illness that you think might be related to your home environment, you should discuss the situation with your doctor.
If you still have questions whether you should have your air ducts cleaned or have concerns about mold growth in your home, contact a professional.