Radon is an unseen danger

     Radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States, only behind tobacco smoke. It is responsible for a reported 21,000 deaths per year in the United States. Radon is a radioactive gas that forms when naturally-occurring uranium in granite bedrock decays into radium. This radium then decays to radon, a colorless, odorless gas. Radon is not harmful outside, but it can build up to damaging levels inside a house. Radon enters homes through cracks and crevices in your foundation. The air pressure inside your home acts as a vacuum, helping to pull radon up from the soil beneath.

How do you know if you have high radon levels in your house?

     Radon levels can vary from house to house. The only way to know whether or not you are being exposed to high radon levels is to get a test kit. The test kits are very simple to use. They contain a charcoal sponge which will soak up any radon in your home. All you have to do is hang the test kit from a string in the basement or first floor of your home for 3-7 days. If the radon level in your home is over 4 pCi/L, you should consider getting your home mitigated. If your house does have elevated levels of radon above EPA-acceptable levels, a radon educator will contact you about remediation steps.

     Just as with tobacco smoke, not everyone exposed to radon will develop lung cancer. However, if you are concerned or would just like some peace of mind, radon test kits are an easy solution.

Source: http://www.radonleaders.org/node/21306

Share This Posting
20 Years Of Expert Local Experience
Contact Us Today
Copyright © Buffalo Environmental & Construction Group 2020 - All rights reserved
Web Design & SEO by Scriptable Solutions.