What is Mold?
Mold is an organism that is present is most places, outdoors and indoors. It is a type of fungus that works to break down dead material and return nutrients to the environment. Mold grows by digesting plant or animal matter, such as leaves, wood, paper, dirt, and food and spreads by releasing tiny, lightweight spores that travel through the air. Mold grows quickly in moist dark spaces, such as basements, attics, and wet building materials.
Recommended Related to Allergies
Could It Be an Allergy?
Wondering if your nagging cold is actually an allergy? Or what about your new skin cream that made your hands break out? Distinguishing an allergy from a non-allergic condition is not always a clear-cut task. But knowing the difference can sometimes help you solve what's ailing you, which in turn could mean faster relief. Mary Fields knows just how difficult pinpointing an allergy can be. The 64-year-old Bronx resident tells WebMD she was convinced her frequent hives were caused by something in...
All of us are exposed to some mold every day with no bad effects. We may breathe in mold spores that are present in the air or eat foods in which mold has begun to grow. People with mold allergies, however, may have a reaction if exposed to too much of the fungus.
Exposed children in their infancy can be particularly susceptible for their development of childhood asthma, COPD, developmental disorders and many other triggers due to poor air quality.
Symptoms of a mold allergy are those typical of many other allergies. They can include:
Stuffy or runny nose
Itchy, watery eyes
Rash or hives
If you have a significant proven mold allergy, avoiding all exposure to mold may not be possible. However, you can reduce your risk of reaction by controlling the environment you live and work in.
SICK HOME SYNDROME
Most people spend well over 90% of their time indoors. In which case, indoor air is going to impact our health far more than outdoor air. The EPA informs us that 6 out of 10 homes and buildings are "sick", meaning they are hazardous to your health to occupy as a result of airborne pollutants.
A baby crawling on the floor may inhale the equivalent of four cigarettes a day, and is exposed to a multitude of pollutants, as a result of the off gassing of carpets, molds, mildews, fungi, dust mites, etc. You may experience eye, nose, and throat irritation, stuffiness, light headed, skin rashes, headaches, nausea, flu-like symptoms. Symptoms following exposure come and go fairly quickly -- you may notice them within an hour or two of entering a home, but also notice that they will be gone within an hour or two of leaving a building.
SICK BUILDING SYNDROME
Millions of people get up each morning feeling tired, but pretty much okay and it may remain that way until they actually get to the office. Once the building looms large in front of them, it begins. They feel sick then, or they begin to feel sick just after they arrive to work. What is it?
Sick building syndrome (SBS) is used to describe situations in which building occupants experience acute health and comfort effects that appear to be linked to time spent in a building, but no specific illness or cause can be identified. Sick building syndrome, it has been suggested, could be caused by inadequate ventilation, chemical contaminants from indoor or outdoor sources, and/or biological contaminants. Many volatile organic compounds, which are considered chemical contaminants, can cause acute effects on the occupants of a building. "Bacteria, molds, pollen, and viruses are types of biological contaminants" and can all cause SBS.
CONTROL MOISTURE TO CONTROL MOLD
Mold is a plant, it likes humidity and water. So the key to preventing this fungus in your home or business is to control moisture levels, especially in areas that are moist or damp, such as on bathroom tiles, near sinks, in damp basements or crawl spaces, and areas around windows.
TOXIC BLACK MOLD
Continuously monitor for water leaks, water stains and water activity, upon discovery act immediately.
Monitor ventilation and blockage of ventilation periodically.
Monitor water drainage/gutters and blockage of water drainage/gutters periodically.
Maintain relative humidity at or below 55%, using proper ventilation or dehumidification where necessary.
Maintain proper housekeeping and areas free of clutter to promote proper air circulation.
Periodically change your furnace or whole-house filtration system and maintain/clean HVAC duct work.
The term "toxic mold" is not accurate. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds which can grow in your house or business. There is always a little mold everywhere - in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic molds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary hemorrhage or memory loss. In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition.
COMMON-SENSE APPROACH TO MOLD
The common health concerns from molds include hay fever-like allergic symptoms. Certain individuals with chronic respiratory disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, asthma) may experience difficulty breathing. Individuals with immune suppression may be at increased risk for infection from molds. If you or your family members have these conditions, a qualified medical clinician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment. For the most part, one should take routine measures to remediate and prevent mold growth in the home or business.
MOLD REMOVAL & REMEDIATION
We use your mold testing report to help create a scientific solution to your problem. Our mold inspections consist of technology that will help get to the bottom of your mold problem. With over two decades of experience, we know the best solution! After a detailed review of our proposed mold solution, we will implement mold removal plan with certified mold professionals. BECG guarantees your satisfaction and mold remediation for permanent, transferrable warranties. Call us today to find out more about our mold solutions for your home or business.
WHY CHOOSE US?
We are the complete solution, we stop the water, complete the remediation and restore the property to maintain a mold free environment.
Over 20 years of specific commercial and residential experience of all facets of mold remediation.
Proven track record of on-time and on-budget completion.
Large resource of equipment and labor to get the job done right and efficient.
Insured, Bonded and Verified Staff for every facet of the project.
A+ BBB Rating. Our staff is the highest trained and certified of our industry. We ensure every client is completely satisfied, a customer referral is our best compliment.